Saturday, April 5, 2008

My Theory

I have a theory. It is about places that have rules that say things like, "No hats" or "No athletic wear" or "No white sneakers." I have been in two places with these ridiculous rules in the last month and as a result of the fact that everyone in these places were white and clearly not poor I have come up with the following theory.

A rich white man buys a pool hall and then gives it a makeover. This rich white guy opens his pool hall giving it some name like, oh lets say, Luxalune. Now this rich white guy makes up a rule that says you are not allowed to wear hats. He understands that people as far as he understands them do not want to be around people who are not rich white people, like himself. So he puts in to place this rule to discourage people, such as large categories of people who listen to rap music and choose a certain style of dress, from entering his establishment. You see, this rich white guy realizes that other rich white people have money and will shell out cash to play pool and drink in a safe white rich white guy shelter. A shelter that is safe from 'gangsters' and 'poor people' and 'people who are not white'

So this is my theory. People control who enters their establishment by enforcing rules. I love that Jesus did not have rules about who could associate with him. Jesus was nothing like rich white business men. You may say I am jumping to conclusions but I don't buy that.

I cannot stand this sense of elitism. I would rather hang out with a someone who lives in a little dirty room at some sort of boarding home than hangout in the presence of people who think they are better than others.

Places like Luxalune are not a picture of the Kingdom of God, places like Siloam mission where people serve others and talk about wrestling with people they have just met are pictures of the Kingdom.

So Mr. Rich White Guy who owns Luxalune, I will keep my six dollars and you keep your beer. I will keep my clean conscious and you keep your predictable clientele.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said! he did bring us some free chips and only charged us for an hour of pool...

Brandon Bertram said...

i was waiting for you to write about this. good theory.

Matthew said...

All you needed to say was, "F*ck you, I won't do what you tell me!"

Yes, they did give us free chips and a discount on pool, but remember Erik, we are the kind of people they want to come back. We are the rich white people.

Well, the rich part is relative, but I still consider myself a rich white guy.

Anonymous said...

Free chips or not, sounds like the owners are trying to give you guys a safe place to enjoy your cold brewskies, I`m from the neighborhood and I choose Luxalune with their simple rule of `no hats`...(actually no gang wear).
If you were part of the old clientel of Miss Q`s...well let`s just say you guys didn`t buy the warm beer... you sold drugs. And if you didn`t sell drugs there, you turned a blind eye to the scum that did sell drugs there. Kudos to the new owners that earned the support of all in the neighborhoods of riverview and fort rouge by kicking the touble out so the loacals can come in. Notice any broken glass or puke on the sidewalks in the morning lately. Neither did I. (FYI go there, you`ll see the locals eating good food(not the old chips from a dusty bag you would have found at the ole Miss Q`s) and cold draft beer :) Like me! They have drink and food specials every nite so who can complain about that. I`m pretty sure you can wear hats in there now too, so a little short term pain makes for a safe place to bring your girlfriend or wife!
Cheers Bro!