Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Church

I get the feeling that many Christians are ashamed of the church. People, who on things like face book, label their religious views as 'love' or 'follower of the Bible'. Why do people not want to be associated with Christianity, with the church? I am not doubting that these people love God and that these people want to be in a relationship with God. Nor do I think it is bad that love and scripture are central to peoples religious lives.

I do think though that people are called to be apart of the community of believers, the church, the collection of believers called Christians. On some levels I understand why people do not want to be associated with Christianity, for there have been horrible acts committed in the name of Christianity. As I read scripture, as I am attempt to be a member of the church, and as I read writings of people like Dietrich Bonhoeffer I realize that the church, the body of Christ is something good and something extremely important to the lives of Christians. Despite popular attempts by many current Christians to make a separation between spirituality and religion (the institutionalization of spirituality) I think we need to return to a proper understanding of church. An understanding of church where people matter, where justice matters, where love matters, where God is central, and being in relationship with God is important.

I want to see the church move from the mentality where people need to simply get in the door and be 'saved'. Let us continually seek God, let us serve each other (those who are a part of the church and those who are not). I desire for the sacraments to be taken seriously again, where baptism is something that is important not just an after thought. Let us learn to pray and to read scripture. Let us remember what being the body of Christ looks like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen Greg.

I think the church has a bad rep and people just don't want to be associated with that any longer.

We have emphasized the wrong things and rather than let the expectations of the cross be a stumbling block to people, we ourselves have been a stumbling block.

With our political agenda, our lack of love for those in sin and brokenness, and some of our extreme or fundamental fringes, we have removed the power of the cross and replaced it with our own expectations.

The true church is still there, being the church, doing what they need to do, but I am excited because there is now also a Spiritual hunger in the world that hasn't always been there.

We can be ready for that hunger by stepping into the need, with the cross of Christ.